What is Bed-In?
For optimal use of any given brake system, the pads and rotor have to be compatible with each other. The bed-in procedure establishes that compatibility between the pad and rotor. This is achieved by a combination of rubbing speed, temperature, line pressure, and Inertia. Bed-in is also influenced by pad and rotor material chemistries. It is always recommended that only compatible pads and rotors be used in any given application.
Bedding in advantages:
1. Gradually heat treats the rotor and eliminates any thermal shock in the rotor.
2. Burn off volatiles and moisture from the resin that is near pad surface. This will eliminate “green fade.”
3. Establish a layer of transfer film about a few microns thick on the rotor surface. Shearing of the film during friction is an effective source of friction force. Otherwise, when using a freshly ground rotor without the transfer film, the main friction force would come from cutting, plowing, or scoring the asperities on the rotor surface. This leads to inconsistent braking effectiveness.
4. Mate the two surfaces to a near perfect geometrical match, so that the contact area is high, and therefore the friction force is increased.
5. The performance of a fresh rotor/fresh pad system would be inconsistent. This is due to ever-changing structures and properties of the two mating materials. Bed-in of pads and rotor will form a stable transfer film.
6. If bedding in procedure is not applied, a stable transfer film may not be established for a long time. In other words, the rotor surface would have to be constantly regenerating a film that is not quite stable for a long time. This effect would reduce the performance and increase the wear.
Always consider the Brake pad manufacturers bedding in recommendations.
1. After installing new disc rotors &/or brake pads, 阻止所有制動管和執行 10 to 12 將約適度踏板的壓力緩慢起伏 70 – 80 千米每小時降至大約 20 KPH允許大約 50 在應用程序之間米.
2. 執行額外的 8 to 10 將約重踏板的壓力緩慢起伏 90 – 100 千米每小時降至大約 20 KPH允許大約 50 在應用程序之間米.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. 大約執行了一圈 70% 比賽節奏.
5. 大約執行了一圈 80% 比賽節奏.
7. 返回到凹坑區和允許至少 1- 2 小時制動系統降溫.
After step 8 your new disc rotors &/或墊準備好比賽用. 為了獲得最佳性能，最好的床新的轉子與已經墊床和床新墊與已床轉子.
Disc Brakes Australia